TV competition series, MasterChef Junior, won a TASTE AWARD in January 2014 for its outstanding programming. Now, the winner of the series is partnering with a resort in Mexico for a new type of program… for kids.
They have recently announced the rollout of the Generations Riviera Maya by Karisma Launch of Little Eko Chefs, hosted by MasterChef Junior Season 1 winner, 13-year old Alexander Weiss. Over the weekend of August 15 – 17, 2014, the celebrity guest chef will kick-off the exceptional kids program at the newly opened Gourmet Inclusive® resort on the Mayan Riviera.
During this exclusive weekend, Generations Riviera Maya invites guests to join Alexander on a three day culinary adventure for the entire family (offered complimentary to guests staying from 8.15-8.17). The Little Eko Chefs Weekend will include a sampling of Little Eko Chefs as well as one-of-a-kind opportunities to interact with Alexander, including a meet and greet with mocktails and photos, a live culinary performance, and a cooking class for kids to watch and learn from Alexander, personally.
Offering a first taste of Little Eko Chefs, Generations Riviera Maya invites guests to join Alexander, 13-year old wunderkid and first-ever winner of MasterChef Junior, on a three day culinary adventure for the entire family. The Little Eko Chefs Weekend will provide a select group of children (and parents) a sampling of Little Eko Chefs as well as exclusive opportunities to interact with Alexander, including a meet and greet with mocktails and photos, a live culinary performance, and a cooking class for kids to watch and learn from Alexander, personally. Guests of the Little Eko Chefs Weekend will also be invited to enjoy a Pasta Dinner on the Chef’s Market deck overlooking nothing but the azure sea and sky; a special turndown amenity for children before bedtime; and a goodbye afternoon ice-tea party.
A sampling of Little Eko Chefs classes includes:
- The History of Chocolate – Kids will start with the cacao bean and convert it with artisanal equipment into chocolate mixing with all the corresponding ingredients. Finished chocolate will be molded it into bars with Eko Kids wrappers.
- Tamale Making Class – In this fun class, kids will learn the process making both savory and sweet tamales in a corn husk or banana leaf before eating for lunch
- Sushi Class – Kids will learn the history of sushi before being taught how to properly fill and roll sushi
- Shaved Ice – This cool class (literally!) will teach kids how to shave ice themselves using natural fruit based toppings
- Pasta Class – Kids will learn how to make their own pasta dough and turn it into spaghetti and raviolis to share for dinner with your family
- Mexican Tortilla Making – From start to finish, kids will learn the entire process of tortilla making, including how to grind corn by hand, turning it into tortilla dough, forming tortillas in the press and even learning additional side products to create like tortilla chips, empanadas and sopes. Ole!
- Mexican Sweets (Dulces Mexicanos) – In this class, kids learn the history of and preparations in making these delectable unique Hispanic sweets
- Greenhouse Harvest – Kids will visit the nearby Greenhouse to pick tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers and herbs before bringing them back to the Eko Kids kitchen for garden fresh soup and salad making
- Artisanal Ice Cream Making – Kids will create their own mix of fruits to blend and mix before pouring into the ice container to be spun by hand until ice-cream is formed
- A Taste of the Senses – What you see is not what you taste! This interactive activity teaches kids that what is seen with our eyes can vary dramatically from what’s expected